Wisconsin Rapids Area
South Wood County Historical Museum, 540 3rd Street South
Originally the home of banker and papermaker, Isaac P Witter, the museum is situated on a hill overlooking the Wisconsin River.
Formal-style gardens surround this 1907 historical building. Since 1996’s master landscaping plan, Wood County Master Gardeners have tended and maintained these gardens. The site enjoys full shade to full sun gardens, with large displays of hostas, iris, daylilies, and roses. Street improvements along Locust Street lead to major renovations to the dayliliy bed and privacy hedge. An original Witter family statute has been returned to the site and set into the gardens. This site is a good example of the layering effect of trees, large shrubs, small shrubs, herbaceous perennials, bulbs, and annuals. Educational signage related to gardening and plants help the visitors identify plants of interest. Local garden clubs maintain the large cast iron urn seasonal displays.
Lowell Center, 220 3rd Ave, South
Wisconsin Rapids Community Gardens, Corner of Hill and Spruce Streets
Since 2013, “Growing Friends” has helped Wisconsin Rapids residents get “back to nature” in the middle of the city. Master Gardeners have been involved since the beginning and serve their community by teaching and supporting local citizens working on their own food security. Some of them gardened long ago, at the foot of a beloved grandmother; some of them are gardening for the first time. Master Gardeners host teaching sessions, answer questions, and help provide solutions to gardening problems that arise over the growing season. In addition, our MGs plant and maintain demonstrations gardens that are used for education. The produce harvested from these gardens are donated to the local food programs.